Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Bees, boxes and harmless helpers


You've probably seen "bee boxes" for sale in your local garden centre and dismissed them as an expensive gimmick. If so then think again.

We bought this box because it was damaged and hence in the "bargain" section of a DIY warehouse (sometimes you just can't resist a bargain and I'm sure the bees aren't too bothered.)




This would appear to be a leaf cutter bee. I say this not through any profound knowledge of bees but simply because this is what it has done. i.e. cut leaves



In fact these weren't the first bees to take up residence and if you look closely at the picture you will see that one of the cavities in the bamboo cane has been blocked with earth courtesy of some previous visitors.

The female bee will have layed her eggs in the cavity, provided sufficient food for the soon to be larvae to mature into adult bees, plugged the hole with protective leaves and lastly had a tidy up and given the leaves a final trim.



Useful links; if this has whetted your appetite English Nature have produced a pamphlet "Helpful Bees and Wasps in your Garden" which provides instructions should you wish to make your own "bee box"
or
if you want to try the bespoke version Wiggly Wigglers sell a wide variety of homes for an even wider variety of bugs & bees.
and
if you want to know which bee is which there is a very useful site dedicated to solitary bees produced by Nigel Jones here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kindred Nutmeg said...

Wow.. I stumbled upon Your blog.. what a treat.. Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures and commentary..

Shout out Hi from Canada..
Nutmeg

10:57:00 pm  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

I love the bug box, msut get one, like you I'll probably look in the bargain section first! love the photgraphs.

5:16:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home