Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Great Cucumber Experiment (cont)

Deeay 4 in the Cucumber House (sponsored by IKEA)
I've been inundated with literally one request to continue with this seemingly pointless quest to solve the "severed cucumber" question. (one request to continue & one rather obscure twitter comment "that way madness lies" from a Mr. Buckland)
It would seem churlish not to continue, however the degree of change from one day to the next is, to put it mildly, minimal.
So here goes.
Neither the cut end of the cucumber nor the main part have changed.

Introducing some "metrics" into the experiment at this stage may be a little tardy but better late than never. With help from IKEA (& if that doesn't get me a complimentary Billy bookcase nothing will) the circumference and length of the stub have been measured; coincidentally both came in at 16cm.


to be continued.





3 Comments:

Blogger Arabella Sock said...

fascinating! I can't wait for the next instalment. Does it smell OK?

10:53:00 am  
Blogger NewShoot said...

I'm on the edge of my seat ;-)

...actually it is quite interesting...

it would be good to cut an immature one in half too, to see if there's any difference in growth.

I imagine that the 'bottom end' would be the end that the fruit actually swells from, so by cutting it off you have removed the point of cell division, but my mental model is probably derived from blowing up long balloons!

10:57:00 am  
Anonymous Simon S said...

AS - "fascinating" is one of those words which can too easily be used in a sarcastic context. I will assume not here.
"Does it smell ok ? " - a perfectly reasonable question but since I'm not sure what un-ok is I don't know; suffice to say that the liquid comfrey fertiliser masks any odour.

NS: I've been eyeing up another candidate for surgery. I thought a vertical plus horizontal cut (an upsidedown L) might work & will investigate further in the morning.

note to self: . must go to Tesco's to buy a cucumber since all home grown are subject to intense scientific research.

9:14:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home